GoDaddy: Delegate Subdomain to Different Nameserver

1. Access your GoDaddy domain manager
  2. Select your domain
  3. Select the “DNS Zone File” Tab
  4. Select “Add Record”
  5. Create a new “Nameserver” entry. See capture below. The “host” will be the subdomain you want to point to the new server. Use the proper nameserver naming format or GoDaddy will kick an error.

1. If you do not have a FQDN for your nameserver you will want to create an A record pointing to its IP:

I would like to that Glen Kemp who began discussing this topic with me. I thought I should put this up even though GoDaddy clearly supports this procedure in their Support Forums.

Glen Kemp
Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014

Thanks for this, it proved that I what I needed to do for a customer was possible, despite getting a flat-out denial from their tech support and commercial people. Saved me a lot of aggravation, and its always helpful to have real-world examples of anything like this.
Reply to Glen Kemp

Calcutta India
Saturday, Dec 6, 2014

Same here, just like Glenn, it saved a lot of time!
Reply to Calcutta India

Calcutta India
Saturday, Dec 6, 2014

Thanks to Networkhobo and the author for this post.
Reply to Calcutta India

Thursday, Mar 9, 2017

BS it does not work, godaddy does not allow that
Reply to ds18s20

In reply to ds18s20
Thursday, Mar 9, 2017

Does this method no longer work? I moved away from GoDaddy in early 2015 so I have not tested in some time.

The support documents look to be roughly the same, but with updated formatting.

If you tested and the method is no longer viable please let me know and I will add a note to the post citing your test.

Reply to Thread

Friday, Jun 2, 2017

As of today ( 6/2/2017 ) this works fine. The godaddy website errors when you attempt this, however, if you try again it reports the record already exists. Even though the error occurs, the correct changes are still made. I was able to test and it correctly resolved to my subdomain dns provider.

Thanks for posting this.

Reply to Sterling

In reply to Sterling
Friday, Jun 2, 2017

Thank you for confirming! I am glad it helped.
Reply to Thread

Ahmed Kamal
Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017

Thanks folks, you are awesome! Just tried this now (Oct-2017) and it worked beautifully. Don’t worry when godaddy throws an error about the NS record, it still works in the end.
Reply to Ahmed Kamal

Say something

Send me an email when someone comments on this post.

Your post has been submitted and will be published once it has been approved.

Click here to see the pull request you generated.

Your post has not been submitted. Please return to the page and try again. Thank You!